Hughes Belin, leading energy journalist for viEUws – the EU Policy Broadcaster, takes a pick at the top 5 energy issues that will be discussed by the European Union institutions under the Greek EU Presidency during the first half of 2014.
- The main issue on the agenda will be the 2030 energy and climate framework, the package will be published on the 22nd of January.
- A debate on energy state aid will take place under the lead of competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia during the next 6 months. The guidelines on energy state aid are planned to be in force by the 1st of July.
- Nuclear energy will stay high on the agenda during the next half year with a long-promised proposal from Commissioner Oettinger on nuclear liability. Harmonisation of the different schemes for insurance of nuclear accidents and the revision of nuclear waste directive are also on the Greek Presidency agenda.
- The Commission and industry are working on an Integrated Roadmap on Energy Technology, due to be published in the spring. Member States and the Commission should then follow up with an action plan by summer.
- At the centre of International relations will be EU – Russia Energy Dialogue, which will take place on the 17th of January. A number of issues will be tabled: the electricity system in Baltic states, unbundling liberalisation package, the Gazprom probe, nuclear safety and long term energy cooperation.