Hughes Belin, leading energy journalist for viEUws – the EU Policy Broadcaster, picks out the top 5 energy issues that will be discussed by the European institutions under the Italian Presidency.
- Security of supply remains at the top of EU decision makers’ agenda as the crisis between Ukraine and Russia continues.
- 2030 climate & energy framework: the Italian EU Presidency will have a chance to draw a compromise at the informal Energy and Environment Ministers meeting on October 6, and in this way facilitate an agreement at the European Council on October 23 & 24.
- Another big topic on Italy’s energy agenda is the internal market: the Commission will take stock of the progress made in completing the internal energy market in a new Communication due for October.
- A few nuclear files are expected to progress under the Italian Presidency: the revisedDirective on Nuclear Safety; the Regulation on maximum permitted levels for radioactive contamination of food; nuclear liability and emergency preparedness and state aid decisions on nuclear project at Hinkley Point C.
- Fuels will be another big issue on the energy agenda in the next six months with the completion of the fitness check of the European refining industry. The Italian Presidency will also try to advance two controversial files: the Fuel Quality Directive and the carbon footprint of biofuels.